Thursday, May 5, 2011

One Piece of Advice

I found this picture at my father's house. He had died in July of 2006 and my brother and sisters and I were cleaning out his house. I believe this is a picture of my maternal grandparents on their wedding day.

I got into family history after my mom passed in 1998. I wish now that I had asked more questions about what she knew about her parents and grandparents. She was kind of a private person, and didn't share much unless you asked her.

After my father died, I realized that I was on my own to try to identify the subjects of the pictures that we found in the house. My sister and I have been working together to try to figure out who these people are and how they may be related to us.

If I could offer one piece of advice to anyone who may be interested in finding their roots, it would be to ask questions, lots of them. Ask your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles. Even cousins can sometimes steer you in the right direction.

I wished I had asked more questions...

No comments:

Post a Comment